Tuesday, July 10, 2012

My $5 Staples Trip, and How to Use Staples Rewards and Rebates!


Here is what I bought at Staples this week, and a breakdown of my transactions, rebates, and rewards.

Transaction 1: (me)
4 Sharpwriter 5pk Mechanical Pencils 25c ea=$1
3 Great Dry Erase Markers 4pk 50c ea=$1.50
1 Sharpie Fine Marker $1
1 Junior Scissors 2pk $1
1 Staples Pink Eraser 3pk 50 cents
2 Rose Art Crayons 1 cent each (limit 2 w/ $5 purchase)
2 Bic Roundstick Pens 1 cent each (limit 2 w/ $5 purchase)
2 Staples School Glue 1 cent each (limit 2 w/ $5 purchase)
Total: $5.05
(savings: $31.94 off the regular price)

Transaction 2: (2nd party I brought with me)
Staples Copy Paper $6.99 (easy rebate $6.74)
2 Rose Art Crayons 1 cent each (limit 2 w/ $5 purchase)
2 Bic Roundstick Pens 1 cent each (limit 2 w/ $5 purchase)
2 Staples School Glue 1 cent each (limit 2 w/ $5 purchase)
Total: $7.05, get $6.74 easy rebate back, or 31 cents
(savings $14.16 off the regular price)
Grand Total: $5.36 for everything!

Staples recently changed its teacher rewards program.  Previously, you could get a limit of 25 1cent items with a $5 purchase.  (Still not enough for my class this year!)  This year, they are allowing teachers to buy the advertised limit of promo items, and get up to 25 total with the regular price.  The regular price will then be refunded to you in Staples Rewards. (Rewards will pile up, and when they hit the $10 mark, they will be mailed to you in a check, or can be deposited into a paypal account.) I am not a huge fan of this change, so I will be carefully selecting the items that I choose to purchase over the limit, or I will split my $5 transactions as I did above, to get a few each of the promo deals. 

If you are a teacher, I URGE you to write or call Staples, or leave a comment on their facebook page.  For those of us working in impoverished schools, (including myself), we are often supplying most of the supplies for our entire class all year round. Hopefully this is a one-time deal, and with many teachers voicing concerns, it will be changed.  I may try price-matching at Walmart when name-brand items go to rock-bottom, and I'll let you know how that turns out.
Anyone else have any suggestions about how to handle this change? Other questions on how Staples works?  Please feel free to leave a comment!



Please support this site by using the links provided!

No comments:

Post a Comment