Wednesday, November 13, 2013

"Black Friday" Controversy...

I, for one, love shopping probably more than the average person.  I have been hemming and hawing about heading out to shop on the biggest shopping day of the year, "Black Friday."  Here are my feelings about this ever-controversial day, and why my feeling are changing.  I would really love to hear your comments and feelings, so please, take a minute to leave a comment below.

First of all, "Black Friday" has the name "Friday" in it.  The general idea sounds great!  Spend Thanksgiving Day with family, eat a huge amount of turkey, go to bed, then wake up super-early to meet up with friends and grab some great deals in the wee hours of Friday morning.  To me, that sounds like a beautiful plan!

The controversy has been brewing in my head, every time I post another Black Friday leaked ad.  Every time I find a new one, I check to see what time the sales begin on Friday morning, only to find that...they are starting Thursday night instead.

On any average night, I would think, GREAT!  I don't have to get up early, and I can shop at night!  But this is Thanksgiving.  Thanksgiving dinner.  I just don't see millions of Americans putting aside time with their family to go to a store. 

It's not even like if the sale starts at 8pm, you can leave your house at 7:45 (way after dinner is over), and just walk in the store at 8.  If you want to get any of the 'really good' deals, you'd have to leave at say, 4pm, just to get a spot in line to get the item that you really want.  And for what?  To save around $100 or so? 

Not to mention the employees of these stores, that have no choice in the matter, and HAVE to leave their family's dinner at 4 or 5, because of the millions of Americans that WILL leave their family and go shop for some item they "REALLY NEED."  What could you possibly need more than one beautiful evening to relax and catch up with family?

So folks, I am going to sit out "Black Friday" (Thursday evening) HOT deals this year.  I don't think its fair for corporations to pull their employees away from their own families without an option.  It's getting ridiculous.  What began as a fun way to start the day after Thanksgiving, has turned into a horrible situation for many people.  I'll be in my pajamas late Thursday evening, long after my family dinner is over, shopping for great deals online, and getting ready to brave the crowds Friday morning. Maybe if "Black Thursday Evening" isn't successful, stores will go back to their glorious "Black Friday" deals, and do all of us a favor!

What do you think about the controversy?  I'll still be posting all of the ads I find, as most of the deals will be available online.  Will you be out in the madness this year?



Please support this site by using the links provided!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I agree. I won't be going out thurs, I'll be out Friday. Its disgusting and unfair.
    I doubt MY staying in will do any good but maybe if a lot of us did it... They would reconsider their sales tactics:(

    ReplyDelete